EPA Lead Paint Courses | Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Rule

Lead Paint Training Courses Offered at the HBA

The HBA has held 40+ Lead Paint Training sessions since 2009. Additional sessions will be added to keep up with market demand. If no course dates are noted above, please check back again soon. If you would like to be placed on a wait list for either type of course, please contact Tracy Chiesa
 (314-817-5631) and provide your name, company name, projected number of students and e-mail address for future email notifications. NOTE: The HBA needs a minimum of 15 students to host a course.

Course Information Overview:
The initial training course is an 8-hour lead paint certification course developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to train renovation, repair and painting contractors how to work safely in housing with lead-based paint. The HBA’s lead paint classes comply with the EPA's Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Rule, and HUD's Lead Safe Housing Rule because they are being taught by accredited EPA trainers from Titan Environmental. However, this course only certifies the individual, not the firm (read information below on firm certification).

All contractors, installers and trades that “disturb” painted and sealed surfaces in pre-1978 homes MUST have:
1. Formal EPA-sanctioned Lead Paint Training for one or more employee (Certified Lead Renovator)
2. Firm Certification directly from the EPA (Lead-Safe Certified Firm)

Cost of EPA Lead Paint Courses cost through the HBA:
The initial 8-hour course through accredited EPA trainers has the following cost:

  • $175 per person for HBA members

  • $225 for non-members

How long is EPA Lead Paint Training Course?
The course to become a Certified Lead Renovator is approximately 8.5 hours long (including lunch). Our courses take place from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The refresher course is 4 hours long. Both are held at the HBA Office (10104 Old Olive Street Road, St. Louis, MO 63141). Click here for directions. Please have students arrive a minimum of 10 minutes early to register since the class starts promptly at 8 a.m. It should end close to 4:30 p.m. with the formal exam.

Don’t be fooled!
There are out-of-town firms holding similar lead paint classes to ours who are claiming to have certified instructors (some may be and some may not). They also claim that you will receive the certification you need to be compliant with the new Federal EPA Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Law that went into effect on April 22, 2010. If you choose to take a class with another firm, PLEASE double check with the EPA’s website to be sure they are in fact certified to instruct the EPA's Lead Safety Certification course before making your reservation. The accredited EPA trainer used by the HBA is Titan Environmental Services out of Kansas City, Missouri.

General Information about the EPA’s Renovation, Repair & Painting (RRP) Rule:
The new EPA Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Law that went into effect April 22, 2010 can be very confusing for remodeling contractors as well as other suppliers and trades working in pre-1978 homes. To help you better understand who needs to become a Certified Lead Renovator and who doesn’t, we’ve broken down the most important information you need to know in laymen’s terms about the EPA Lead Paint rules. All of the information on this page is true to the best of our knowledge. The best resource for information is the EPA. They can be reached at 1-800-424-LEAD or http://www2.epa.gov/lead.

Where can I download the Renovate Right brochure and other materials?
Brochures are available for download at the EPA's website at http://www2.epa.gov/lead. Note: Be Sure to check with the EPA for updates to these publications.

The EPA Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Law:
The Lead paint training needed to become a Certified Lead Renovator is now mandatory for any contractor involved in any construction activity that will or has the potential to disturb lead-based paint. The new EPA rule will directly affect ALL paid renovators who work in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities, including: renovation contractors, maintenance workers in multi-family housing, painters and other specialty trades. Under the rule, child-occupied facilities are defined as residential, public or commercial buildings where children under age six are present on a regular basis. The lead paint certification requirements apply to renovation, repair and painting activities. The rule does not apply to minor maintenance or repair activities where less than six square feet of lead-based paint is disturbed in a room or where less then 20 square feet of lead-based paint is disturbed on the exterior. Window replacement is not minor maintenance or repair.

Who is affected by the EPA Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Law?
Remodelers, window installers, door installers, painters, insulation contractors, electricians, plumbers, siding contractors and any other contractors working in pre-1978 housing where there’s a risk that lead-based paint will be disturbed or lead-based paint dust will be created must receive lead paint training.

Who from my company needs to become a Certified Lead Renovator?
It could be the owner, a project manager, a superintendent, a crew leader or just about anyone else that can oversee job sites on your behalf. To be in compliance with the law, the certificate holder must be have their certificate onsite and be available by phone at all times.

How long will my individual Lead Paint Renovator certification last?
The training certification is good for five years. Successfully completing a refresher course will give you another five year extension. WARNING: If you let your initial certificate expire, the EPA says you will be forced to re-take the 8-hour initial training course. They also recommend that you take the course at least 90-days ahead of your expiration date so there’s plenty of time for the processing your renewal.

What if the certified individual leaves my company?
The lead paint certification stays with the individual. If he/she leaves your company and is the only one from your company certified, you become non-compliant with the law and could be fined heavily if you work in pre-1978 homes once they leave. After successfully completing the lead paint course, the certified individual will get their photo taken by the instructors. This photo will get embedded on to the certificate that will either be mailed or emailed (if email is provided) to the student at a later date. A copy of this certificate must remain on the jobsite at all times.

What if I’m non-compliant?
The EPA states on their website that anyone found to be non-compliant could face hefty fines of up to $37,500 per violation and/or jail time per incident.

Lead-Safe Certified Firm vs. Individual Certification

Firm certification is mandatory and completely separate from the mandatory individual lead paint training courses we are offering at the HBA. Each firm doing any type of construction in pre-1978 housing must also become a Lead-Safe Certified Firm with the EPA directly. For firm certification, complete the EPA’s firm application and mail it to the EPA with your payment. Or, you may elect to complete the firm application or renewal application on-line and submit credit card information as payment.  The firm certification is valid for five years. Should you need assistance in filling out this application, call 1-800-424-LEAD (option 3 - lead paint certification information) and they will be able to walk you through this form and/or answer any questions you may have.

EPA-Approved Test Kits
In early April of 2012, the EPA announced the addition of a third “approved” test kit to determine if a pre-1978 housing unit has lead paint present. In the past, many contractors experienced too many false positives from the approved test kits and simply treated every unit as if it had lead paint. Please follow this link for more information: http://www2.epa.gov/lead

More questions?
Contact Tracy Chiesa. You may also go to http://www.epa.gov/lead/rrp/index.html or call the Lead Paint Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD. Other helpful links include http://www.epa.gov/getleadsafe and http://www.leadfreekids.org. View more information available from the National Association of Home Builders on the Lead Paint Rule and how to prepare your company by clicking here.

Optional Paint Chip Testing – Guide from EPA
In the absence of an inexpensive, reliable lead paint test kit, the Environmental Protection Agency is allowing remodelers to send paint chips to certified testing labs to determine whether lead-safe work practices are necessary in the client’s home or any other residential building in accordance with the Lead Paint Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) rule. A detailed description of how to properly take a paint chip sample is provided in the EPA’s new "Paint Chip Sample Collection Guide" and available by clicking here.